Thursday, June 5, 2008

Chest X-Ray

Unfortunately, Nati is still sick with a nasty cough and congestion. We spoke with Dr. Punger and she wanted us to get a chest xray this afternoon, then a visit to her office.

We made it to the radiologist office, where my sweet bundle of joy transformed into a seemingly 8-legged octopus, squirming madly. We finally were called back and I was directed to put my baby into this:



You've got to be kidding me, right? I can't even look at this photo without getting sick to my stomach.

See how the baby in the photo isn't smiling, or even close to content looking. Yea, I would have been overjoyed if Nati was that baby. But Nati wasn't smiling, she wasn't even crying, she was SCREAMING. They directed me to hold her arms above her head while they fastened the device around her. Finally a seasoned tech came into the room and took charge of the situation. She was gruff and very matter-of-fact, which rubbed me the wrong way as my baby was obviously not happy. Looking back on it, she was hurrying and trying to get it done quickly.

Natalie calmed down after they finished and was back in my arms, and before we were even out of the parking lot, she fell asleep.

Poor baby.

7 comments:

Denise Punger MD IBCLC said... Best Blogger Tips

Thanks for sharing this experience. I don't order many chest xrays on babies and would have not known about this. Last I knew the babies laid on the table and the xray was taken in a birds eye view.

Hope she feels better soon.

Denise

Raising Baby Bee said... Best Blogger Tips

Denise - I would have rather gone through this and given you all the tools needed to see what may be wrong with her than not know. She was fine after the experience. I am probably more traumatized! ha!

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

Alex just had the same thing done. It wasn't fun for me either, and Alex had a fit too. Luckily, he calmed right down when he was back in my arms! Dr. P's the best, isn't she? :)

~Lauren said... Best Blogger Tips

I recently had to have my 4 month old x-rayed, and the technician grabbed her arms and pinned them over her head and instructed my to hold them. Of course, my usually friendly, happy baby was terrified by this and started screaming. A little cooing by the technician before-hand and a gentle touch would have gone a long way to making this a much better situation. What did I learn? Don't be afraid to tell the techs not to touch your baby until the tell you what they are going to do, and then ask them to go slowly.

-Expert Mom of MommyAdviceColumn.com

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

I'm an x-ray tech and this is my least favorite part of the job it breaks my heart everytime. However this is the best way to really get the picture that the doctor needs to really see what is wrong. This holds the child still and actually when they are screaming you get a better x-ray because you want them on inspiration. Also the reason the tech was hurrying was to get the job done so she could let the poor child out! It's a horrible method but if you want the doctors to be able to tell what is wrong it really is the best way.

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

My 7 month old son just had one at 5 this morning... the tech was telling me to be prepared because all babies scream and cry from it. Thankfully she was really gentle and my little guy was actually ok with it, probably a little more "what the heck is this?!" than anything.

lucia said... Best Blogger Tips

My baby girl just got dis done me n my hubby had tears in our eyes while my baby scream n cry it felt like we could do ne thing my poor baby when they gave me my baby back. I didt wait to put her dress back on i just walk back to the room n cry with her in my hands room never again