Monday, September 22, 2008

Grampie John



My grandfather, Grampie John, is in the hospital this morning after breaking a hip on Friday afternoon. He's been suffering from Alzheimer's for a few years, and has been miserable since my Grandmother died about 5 years ago (from complications brought on after a broken hip).

He had surgery on Sunday morning and has been having complications ever since. His systems are shutting down and he's in a great deal of pain. They don't expect him to live much longer.

Please keep him in your prayers. Please pray that he starts to feel relief from the pain, pray that he is able to recognize the loved-ones around him and feel comforted and loved by their presence. And please pray that he is able to pass without fear and without pain.

Thank you,
-d

Update - 9/23/08
Grampie John has passed away. He was in a lot of pain for a days, but he was comfortable when he passed. I'll miss you Grampie.

I received a very touching email from a dear friend.... I hope he doesn't mind me putting it here.

"I will always remember Grampie John because he gave me hope about growing older. You bunch of girls all went shopping at the mall. Myself and Grampie John sat on a bench while the hens all went inside the foo foo store. I asked Grampie John if he ever gets bored going "out shopping" with this group and looking at stupid stuff. He says in his old man voice.. "Naw.. I sit out here on the bench and look at the pretty YOUNG girls walk by... like that one.." Grampie motioned to a twenty year old hottie dressed to thrill...

He stared at her like an old toothless junkyard dog stares at a raw steak. I know his mind was snapping and firing and his blood was moving.

I thought to myself.. Hmm so the zest for Life, Love and Lust will live on even when I am an old man sitting on the bench in the mall wearing baby blue pants, a lime green shirt and black socks with sandals.

Somehow that made growing old a little less scary to me that day."

2 comments:

Christy said... Best Blogger Tips

Hugs. I'll be praying for your grampie and you. I went through this in March, it's so hard. Hugs.

Lauren said... Best Blogger Tips

I didn't see that your Grampie passed until just now. I'm sorry to hear this.